Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sweater Pillows


Ok, I got bored...I was at the thrift shop, which by the way is at the end of the road from work about 2 minutes drive.  Not a good thing, I know.  Anyhoo, I found a few sweaters that I thought would make great throw pillow covers so I am working on a few now.  Here are two that I made yesterday (green).  The one that is cream and brown print was a skirt that I found at the thrift store and turned into a pillow cover also.  I just loved the print.  First I layed out the sweater, accessed the situation.  I cut the sleeves and the two buttons off at the top.  I then cut the border off across the top front.  Turned the item inside out and pinned it after all four sides were raw cut.  I used my sewing machine and sewed up the four sides.  I used a stitch that looks like a zig-zag with a straight stitch on the left side.  I added the pillow, sewed the buttons on, spacing them equally.  For the two button holes I cut two holes that were 1/3 the length of the button.  Closed all buttons up and then had some sleeves left over so I cut the seam open on the two sleeves,  cut the excess seam off where it was sewn, then laid both open sleeves face to face and cut them so it would look like a rectangular smaller pillow when done.  It was too plain so I added rosettes.  Using some of the throw away excess of the sweater, I had enough to make three.  I cut three rectangular pieces.  Folding each piece in half, I then rolled them around into a pinwheel type circle and stitched them and then stitched the rosettes to the pillow.  I made one with raw edges stitched then added that one to change up the look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment